Overseas Investment Office (OIO) process

Overseas person looking to invest in New Zealand? - Talk to us about OIO consent

Foreign investment in New Zealand is governed by the Overseas Investment Act 2005 and the Overseas Investment Regulations 2005.

You may need to apply to the Overseas Investment Office (OIO) for consent if you are an overseas person, or an associate of an overseas person, wishing to invest in:
  • sensitive land or an interest in sensitive land (e.g. by buying shares in a company that owns sensitive land), or
  • business assets worth more than $100 million (higher for non-government Australian investors), or
  • fishing quota or an interest in fishing quota.

If a transaction requires OIO consent, investors must submit an application to the OIO.  There are many criteria and requirements for submitting an application to the OIO.  Quality legal advice from an experienced specialist is crucial to ensure an application is processed in a cost effective and timely manner. 

Our overseas investment advice specialists work closely with a barrister who previously worked at the OIO and advised New Zealand Ministers on how to decide applications. Our specialists can provide strategic and practical advice about the OIO process and prepare a high quality application to ensure a smooth process. 

For Overseas Investment Office (OIO) applications and enquiries contact: