Congratulations to former Gibson Sheat partner, Bill Sheat, on receiving a Wellington Icon Award at the 2019 Gold Awards. This award is further recognition for Bill’s substantial contribution to film and the arts in Wellington. Over the past 60 + years, he has been a staunch supporter and leader in the arts scene in the capital.
Wellington would be a very different place today save for Bill’s contributions and interventions on behalf of the arts community. A few of his achievements over the years include:
- Set up NZ Film Commission and served as founding Chair
- Chair of Royal NZ Ballet
- Played a pivotal role in construction of the Hannah Playhouse
- Saving the Opera House from the wrecking ball
- Saving the Embassy theatre – Chair of Embassy Theatre Trust
- Chair of Shakespeare Globe Centre New Zealand Trust
In 1973 Bill was awarded an OBE, and in 2011 he was made a Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit, in recognition of his extensive contribution to the arts.